St Leonard Window
In the North wall opposite the porch entrance,is a lancet of 1912
depicting St Leonard, the patron saint, holding a chain andmanacle as the patron saint of prisoners
St Stephen Window
Probably the most interesting of the windows in the church is
undoubtably the easternmost in the south wall of the nave.
This is a pair of lights with a large panel above them, containing
stained glass saved from "the wholesale destruction of the 13th
century glass of Salisbury Cathedral by the miscreant Wyatt".
(James Wyatt was appointed architect to the Cathedral in 1786
and promptly threw out much of the medieval glass.) The border
fragments and panel were rescued by William Benson Earle in
1787 and given to the church. They were originally set in the East
window. In 1981, on the advice of a specialist, John Piper they were
incorporated in the South window to form a coherent whole. One
of the fragments features the archangel Gabriel along with his name.
The panel is perfect and depicts St Stephen being stoned by two
men, with the hideous faces which mark the medieval villain.
The inscription 'STEPHS ORANS EXPIRAT' means 'Stephen prays
while breathing his last'
Also in 1981, all the medieval stained glass was taken to Norwich
for cleaning and repair, together with the 18th century memorial
window in the tower.
The east window was reglazed in clearer hand-made glass (known
as “antique quarries”), incorporating the centre panel of the
Resurrection which was previously simply wired on to the existing
glazing bars. This panel was sent by an unknown person to a
churchwarden, Mr Fiander, in 1864. Its colour and style indicate that
it is also part of the rejected cathedral glass